Monday, August 22, 2011

New Chapter

Two o'clock in the morning I wake up to my step mom having contractions. Here I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of a little brother. Dad quickly tells me to go back to sleep. An hour later... He taps me on the shoulder, it's time to go to the hospital.

Thirteen years go by and there he is, entering his first day of High School. High School... it boggles my mind to even say it.

Of course I couldn't walk him to school this morning... because he's cool. And cool kids don't need their sister walking them to school, especially when your THIRTEEN. Although; I have this feeling, actually not just a feeling but certainty that he appreciates my interest and excitement for this new stage of life. (even though he'll never admit it, men!)

I'll admit though, tears filled up my eyes thinking of all the time that has passed watching him grow up to be the teenager he is now. As I got ready this morning to head out the door, I was reminded of how precious life is. He's not little anymore. He doesn't need glue sticks, crayons, & scissors for school. He's going to learn about things much greater; life lessons, responsibility, character, and commitment.

As I was driving I whispered a prayer, "Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; He will never leave nor forsake you" (Deut 31:5,6). Never hurts right?!

I haven't figured out how time zooms by so fast, but what I do know is, this guy has a lot going for him and it's only the beginning of a new chapter.



I'm proud to be called his sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment