Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Clock Is Ticking

Today was one of those mornings, running just didn't seem appealing. I ignored my alarm twice, denied a phone call and just continued to sleep, or at least try. I tried convincing myself that this is my last week of vacation and to soak it up.

Finally, I decided to crawl outta bed with my left leg so numb I couldn't walk. Wow, maybe I really don't have to run this morning, since my legs are sleepy too. Well, I was wrong. Within 2 minutes the leg woke up. There was no longer any room for excuses.

Out on a run I went.

In less than 2 months I will be running in the Two Cities half marathon. When I ran my first half marathon last November my goal was to finish the entire race without walking. (I did, yay!) This year my goal is to finish with a better time and try to avoid feeling like I died.


A friend shared with me an amazing training program last year called SmartCoach Training Plan. It was a complete lifesaver in helping me achieve my goal. This program is designed to fit each and every individual by asking simple questions like "what goals you're looking to achieve", "how hard are you willing to train", "how many miles do you run a week", and so forth. It was the best thing for me. It kept me from over-training and getting burnt out on running. If you are considering training for a race in the near future I totally suggest giving it a try.



One thing I've noticed about my running is... If I push myself on the days I don't feel like running, it's usually (not always) my best day. Running is a challenge for me. It definitely doesn't come natural. Regardless how much I train, I have my difficult days too. I think that's what I love about it. I enjoy challenging myself in areas I know can improve.



Running is a new me. It's a lifestyle change that I want to continue for the rest of my life. By joining a local running group Sierra Challenge Express, making running a weekly priority, keeping my playlist up to date, and using it as therapeutic tool, has made it something I thoroughly enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. I feel you. Running does not come naturally to me either. But I figure, the moment I walk out the door for my run, I just won, because I beat the urge to stay home and veg.

    Keep up the great work, Nat. You are an inspiration!

    And stop talking to kids with their pants hanging down around their ankles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're totally right! Thanks Pat!

    Don't worry, if anything crazy goes down on the street of maple, your house is the first one I'm running too! with my pepper spray! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I can totally relate! Sometimes I make the most random excuses but in the end I tell myself to suck it up cupcake. Can't wait to see your pretty little face tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete