Monday, November 12, 2012

New Beginnings

Lately I haven't had an opportunity to blog because of late night thoughts being scattered elsewhere. So much to write about and no words to format those thoughts. By the time I get home and showered from client drool, runny nose stains, and boogers, I'm ready to just sit on the couch and watch TV.

I went through a interview process a little over a month ago. Three interviews to be exact. After waiting a week, I was called and offered the job. The following Monday morning I began training. All like that!


Now that my training is complete, I currently have my own caseload of kids. It's insane how much my language has changed towards my family and friends. The verbiage we use is much different and a whole lot shorter in the workplace then at home.

Family members think I'm a little crazy.

The type of work that I do is considered ABA... Applied Behavior Analysis. We go into homes and incorporate therapy to children who have Autism Spectrum Disorders. It's one of the only Evidence based therapies for Autism. We use highly structured techniques that teach kids how to learn in a classroom environment and in everyday situations such as dinnertime or the neighborhood playground.



Goals for the children range from communication to toileting and everything in between. The intent is to create a developmentally appropriate and comprehensive curriculum for each client. Some of these kids get up to 30 hours or more per week in therapy.

One of the many goals we work on is eye contact... When someone is talking or your name is called to make appropriate eye contact with the person who is speaking. This can be very difficult for spectrum kids to master, whereas for a typically developing child it comes natural.

Over the past few weeks I have learned a ton about each client. Every child with Autism is different. Some whose problem behaviors we are replacing with socially acceptable behaviors and others just increasing language and gross motor skill. It's been fun and challenging figuring each kiddo out to make the sessions as successful as possible.

So that's what I've been up to in a nutshell.

Check out Life with Greyson and Parker for a parents perspective of how ABA has made an impact in her sons life.

What's something that has made an impact in your life?

-Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment