Friday, September 14, 2012

1 backpack at a time

The school year has begun and many of the "back to school" traditions have been made. Everyone is done with cursing through Target for all the necessary school supplies and lunch necessities. Ah yes parents, those lunches.

A tradition my mom set out to start a couple years back has stuck around and made 3,000 little hearts happy. I was lucky enough to participate in the outreach again this year. I delivered 50 backpacks to the last school in need today. Before leaving, I stopped and knelt down in front of the pile of backpacks and prayed. I prayed that they would touch and change the lives of whoever received them.

On Thursday I went to pull a student out of class for therapy. It was near the end of the school day, so I asked him to bring his backpack along. Embarrassed and speechless the boy did not respond. So I asked again. He looked up at me and replied "I don't have a backpack". It was right then and there I knew getting this kid a backpack would be a lot more meaningful than the first day of speech. So we did. In an instant, an embarrassed and unresponsive face turned into a smile from ear to ear.

This is a post about the outreach I published on August 30th, 2011. Changing live one backpck at a time!



No comments:

Post a Comment