Friday, June 1, 2012

Gluten Free Baby

In the past year I have learned a ton while working with children who have Autism. I see a lot of myself in these kids. One thing in particular that I noticed, is a growing population of ASD kiddos are going on Gluten Free (Wheat, Barley, Rye flour), Casein Free (dairy) diets. So what the heck is there left to eat?

When I was first informally diagnosed with Celiac Disease I had no frickin idea what this whole diet entailed. I googled, read some books and realized it's a ridiculously expensive diet. Yup, that's it.
A vast majority of spectrum kids that go on this diet show great improvements in a variety of areas. No more gold fish's and animal crackers. It's all about the rice chips and off brand Mac & Cheese.











When I first went on the diet, going to the grocery store was a entertaining experience. Carefully and diligently reading every label looking for words like enriched bleached flour or whole grain fiber- all were out of the picture.

I initially told myself to try the diet for 2-3 months to see if it worked, after 1 month I knew my body was completely different and much healthier. It  was no longer having to suffer from things it couldn't digest.

At first it was just a "me" diet but then the family slowly began to catch on. Going to the grocery store is beginning to get easier and easier, especially at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. They hand you a GFree book upon request with all of their products. Bam, easy peasy!






After a year on the diet and much Internet research, I know I'm pretty much an expert now. Occasional cheats here and there kill me but I'm getting stronger and my body loves me a tad bit more.

So with that being said, so long Birthday cakes, girl scout cookies, cheese its and quesadillas. You'll be missed.

With much Gluten Free love,
Natalie

1 comment:

  1. Your doing a great job Natalie!
    I have a GI condition and going dairy free was a must.
    I'll have to see if TJ's & WF's have a DF book too.
    P.S I miss you!!

    ReplyDelete