Wednesday, August 8, 2012

2 Things I Learned From a Funeral

Today was a day to say goodbye and a day to celebrate the good times that were. A fellow student who attended a school I worked at, went to be with the Lord last week.


Today was his service. A beautiful one to say the least.

Every way I turned I was surrounded by a variety of demographics from all over town. It was beautiful.

As I was sitting at the service I wrote down two quotes that resonated with me:

"He loved unconditionally without criticizing, and saw beyond their circumstances".
"He celebrated the small things".

Powerful and moving all in one tiny package.

This kid really did do both of those things and for us earthly survivors it should be a motto we live by each day.


I think of Devon and how his life was cut short, yet he managed to outlive people who are in their 60's and 70's because of the way he chose to love people and how he celebrated life.


There are things in life that get the best of us whether it be a driver that cuts you off, or a clerk taking a year-and-half to scan grocery items. Devon taught me to embrace life for what it's worth. We all have needs that require special attention; drugs, anger, eating disorders, etc. Some of us just hide them better than others. Down Syndrome didn't stop him. It was the gift that kept on giving. His love was strong and courageous.

That's the lens he viewed life through.

The reality is loss is inevitable. We are given the tools of choice, to live life as better individuals and embrace the little things. No one said it's easy but Devon made it look that way.


If there was a skill he was particularly good at it was stealing people's hats. He was known as the "hat thief" to everyone who knew him. We can now say he's moved on from a hat to a crown in Heaven. Well done Devon, well done buddy.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Natalie, I can tell you made a difference in little Devon's life.
    What a cutie he was!
    I'm so sorry for your loss. He was way too young. Thinking of you during the most difficult part of your "calling". <3

    ReplyDelete